Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Art Of Looking Back

There I was again... It was about 7:30 on a brisk January 4th morning and I was standing in our church parking lot about to spend some time praying (a process that I started last January each morning before heading into the office).

I started out with something like "God, we have a lot to accomplish this year. Please use me and our church to love more, serve more, and engage with more people around issues of life and faith."

 Right then I sensed God stopping my prayer. I had a sense that instead of asking God for new stuff this year, I needed to spend time celebrating what He had done in the previous year. So I spent the rest of my time that morning thinking through 2015 and all of the great things that God had done in my life, family, friendships, and church community. This past year wasn't perfect, and there are surely more things to do as we explore the possibilities on the horizon of the new year. And yet, it seems to me that if I move straight to what's next, I'll miss the joy of what's happened over the past 365 days. 

Are you like me?
Do you find yourself constantly looking for what's NEXT? If so, can I encourage you to grab a few minutes this week to think back over this past year and find 5 things (big or small) that you can celebrate about 2015. 

None of us has completely arrived in life, and if we wait to celebrate until we've arrived, we'll miss out on the beauty of the journey that we're on. 

On The Journey Together, 
Kevin 


1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you here, Rev Kev! I'll be following along. I'm excited for what this new year has to bring to New Life!

    ReplyDelete