Wednesday, January 13, 2016

My Love Hate Relationship With Costco Pizza

Costco combo pizza is my favorite pizza out there... Is that bad to admit? Oh well, it's my blog, so I'll just say it. It's tasty, the price is right, and I can eat a ton before I realize that I'm full! As much as I enjoy Costco pizza I hadn't had it in close to a year. That all changed last week when Maria innocently let me know that she was headed to Costco and asked if I'd enjoy pizza for dinner.

Like Pavlov's dog I immediately began to salivate as I thought about the baked marvel of big box goodness making its way into my inner person. True to her word, Maria brought home some pizza for us and I enjoyed "first dinner" with the family, followed by "second dinner" of just a few more slices later that evening.

An interesting thing happened that evening. As I got off the sofa to get ready for bed, I noticed that my inner person wasn't responding to the pizza as desired. In fact, I felt absolutely horrible. It wasn't that I had eaten to much (I took care to space out my feedings). The reason I felt sick was because having not eaten processed Costco goodness for almost a year, my body got used to making healthier choices. As my body has acclimated to a healthier lifestyle, it has also grown distasteful for some of the foods that it used to enjoy.

Here's what I'm realizing... I tend to grow a taste for the things that I'm regularly feeding on. When I used to eat out all of the time, my body got used to processed foods, and it learned how to regulate accordingly. As I've formed healthier eating habits, I've found that my body has lost its taste for some of the things that it used to enjoy.

This interesting gastrointestinal phenomenon reminded me of a spiritual phenomenon that takes place in our lives as we seek to walk in a relationship with Jesus. Over time as we feed on things that are in alignment with God (emotionally, relationally, physically, mentally) we will begin to lose a taste for something that the Bible calls sin (which is basically the things that we used to feed on that were hurting us, others, and God), and we begin to grow our taste for the life that God has in store for us.

This process is a big theological term called sanctification. Sanctification is basically the process of feeding on the things that are in alignment of God and allowing God the space to work in our lives to grow our taste buds for those things.

Here's the BIG QUESTION: Are you enjoying the flavor of your (emotional, financial,  relational, spiritual) life?

If so, then keep on eating what you're eating. If not, I'd suggest looking for a new diet. I'm over at New Life every Sunday and I'd love to have you eat with us anytime.

Right now we're chewing on how to become the best version of our family in 2016 with a series called Modern Family. If you'd like to have a great tasting family, then come on over and join us at 8:30, 10, or 11:30.

One Final Note - I still love Costco Pizza, so feel free to invite me for a slice (or 5) anytime!

On The Journey Together,
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment